STORE AND RESOURCE LIBRARY
Professional Development: Trees & Me – Exploring Nature with Young Children$15.00
Hands-on Training for Hands-on Learning | Online Professional Development
Get the most out of our your Trees & Me guide through a self-paced online professional development course. Learn how to lead outdoor learning and bring nature inside to enhance your early childhood programming.
This self-paced online course supports formal and nonformal educators in effectively leading experiences with young children. The course requires approximately 1 hour to complete.
Learn more about the Trees & Me Activity Guide
Introducing young children to nature from an early age benefits them in so many ways. In PLT Canada’s newest activity guide, Trees & Me: Activities for Exploring Nature with Young Children, offers hundreds of ideas for fun, hands-on experiences for families and teachers to connect children ages 1–6 to nature, with a focus on trees. Through indoor and outdoor activities, children explore nature through their five senses, experience trees throughout the seasons, and connect with their community.
Families and caregivers, childcare providers, and early childhood or PreK-Grade 1 educators can use the activities in a range of settings, including preschools, childcare and nature centers, and at home. Special instructions tailor many experiences for children under 3 years of age.
The activities connect with The First Peoples Principles of Learning and pan-Canadian global competencies.
Trees & Me has many features to supplement the learning opportunities you provide for children in your care, for example:
- Children learn concepts they need to succeed in school, including literacy, math, and critical thinking skills. They are empowered to work independently and in groups.
- Art is integrated throughout and children practice STEM through ten essential skills, integrating science, technology, engineering, and math.
- Free downloadable music and sound samples accompany the Music and Movement experiences. Scannable QR codes direct to specific tracks.
- Exploration of careers through dramatic play and skill practice plants ideas for a child’s future.
- Each activity suggests ways that families and friends can enhance the learning experience at home, including helping out in the community.
The 176-page guide also includes 10 appendices, such as tested techniques for engaging early learners, tips for outdoor learning, and bringing nature inside. The guide is available in print and as an e-book.